March 2020 Special Election
City of Oldsmar
March 17, 2020 Municipal Special Election
Qualifying Period Basics
Council Seat 3 – serving 1 year from March 24, 2020 to March 16, 2021
Begins: October 15, 2019, 8:30 am
Ends: November 15, 2019, 5:00 pm
–must be completed by November 15, 2019, 5:00 pm
- City of Oldsmar resident for at least one year prior to the first date of the qualifying period (October 15, 2019)
- Registered voter in the City limits of Oldsmar
- Proper submittal of all paperwork, within dates specified by City Clerk
- 150 petition cards, supplied by City Clerk, signed by registered voters, and verified by Pinellas County
- $25 Filing Fee, and $84 Assessment Fee or waiver form
Ann Nixon, MMC
Oldsmar City Clerk
100 State Street West
Oldsmar, FL 34677
- Complete the attached DS-DE 9 form.
- Submit the form to the City Clerk’s office. Personnel will date stamp the original and provide a copy for your records. Be sure to have your copy with you for the next step.
- Open your campaign account at a local financial institution after submitting the DSDE9 to the City Clerk’s office. Set aside a couple of hours. Historically candidates have remarked on the process taking that long. Be sure to get some temporary checks, you will need them for the next step. Make sure the name of the account is as follows: Name Campaign Account for City Council Seat 3
- After opening the campaign account, call any of the following numbers to schedule a Candidate Packet appointment with the Clerk: (813) 749-1115; 749-1116; 749-1117; 749-1118. Plan for 1 hour and please bring your Campaign Treasurer if possible.
- At the Candidate Packet meeting, you will write the $25.00 check for the filing fee from your campaign account and receive the Candidate’s and Campaign Treasurer’s Packets. We will go over financial reporting, campaign signs, petition cards, timelines, due dates, information requests, and other items. Petition cards will be available for pick up October 7th.
It is against the law to collect or spend any money for your campaign before your campaign account is open. Feel free to contact the City Clerk with any questions regarding the DS-DE 9 form, the qualifying process, or the election.