Know Your Flood Risk
Understanding Your Flood Map
FEMA recently announced the release of updated, digital flood hazard maps that show the extent to which areas throughout the county are at risk for flooding. The new preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) is based on updated coastal modeling and shows flood hazards more accurately than older maps. The preliminary map is available to residents and business on the online Flood Map Information Service found at PinellasCounty.org/Flooding.
Below are the definitions for all the
flood zone designations show in the City of Oldsmar's DFIRMs
- Do not walk or drive through flowing or standing water. Unseen obstructions or hazards may hard you or your family.
- Turn off the power in your house. This should include electrical power as well as all propane gas tanks & lines.
- Watch your step in flooded areas. Slip-and-fall accidents are common in wet, slippery areas.
- Be alert for small animals flushed out by flooding conditions. Under stress, animals may react by biting when disturbed.
- Be aware of gas leaks in the house. Do not smoke, use candles or open flames until you are sure no leaks exist; ventilate enclosed areas if you think gas is present.
- Avoid downed power lines and electrical wires. These wires can cause shock & electrocution.
- Keep a battery-powered radio tuned to local stations & comply with any evacuation orders.