Facilities & Infrastructure
The City of Oldsmar has restored and preserved a 1918 building, now titled the Historic Oldsmar Bank building, by incorporating many elements that embody environmental stewardship.
In 2008, Oldsmar city officials were faced with having to demolish the building due to compromised structural integrity after nearly a century of ravaging storm events and flooding. City officials chose, instead, to invest in renovation with the intention of minimizing the impact to our landfill and to exemplify their leadership in revitalizing government buildings to today's green building standards.
During the restoration period, electric vehicles came to market and the City of Oldsmar adapted design plans for the Historic Oldsmar Bank to include an electric vehicle charging station with 2 reserved electric vehicle parking spaces easily accessible to the building's front entrance. Through a partnership with ChargePoint America, Oldsmar became the 1st municipality in the Tampa Bay area to install multiple electric vehicle charging stations on public streets.
The Historic Oldsmar Bank project is registered with the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and has received Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.
Located on the northern shores of Tampa Bay with a population of approximately 14,000, the City of Oldsmar is making another big commitment to the environment - this time with its brand new Reverse Osmosis Water Treatment Plant (ROWTP).
Not only does the plant reduce strain on local surface water for potable water production by utilizing a previously untapped source of brackish water, but Oldsmar has designed and constructed the ROWTP in accordance with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards. In May 2013, the ROWTP earned LEED Silver Certification by the United States Green Building