Business Tax Receipts Requirements

  1. Start a business here
  2. Applications & Affidavits
  3. Fees

Review and Renew your business tax receipt online

Starting a Business in the City of Oldsmar

The city requires a Business Tax Receipt (BTR)(formerly known as an Occupational License) for the privilege of engaging in or managing any business, profession, or occupation within its jurisdiction, pursuant to the classifications and rates as provided in Chapter 62, Article III, of the city Code of Ordinances and Chapter 205, Florida Statute.

Evidence of Being in Business

Anyone who sells any goods or services or solicits business or offers goods or services for sale or hire in the city shall be required to obtain a Business Tax Receipt. If any person operates a business at more than 1 location in the city, each location shall be considered a separate business and a Business Tax Receipt shall be required for each location.

Before Applying for a Business Tax Receipt (BTR)


Before leasing space, call this office to determine if the site you have selected for your business is located in the correct zoning district.

Fictitious Name Statement or Copy of the Articles of Incorporation

File for a fictitious name registration (also known as a "d/b/a") or file for corporation status if the business will be a corporation. If the business will not be registered either as a fictitious name or as a corporation, then the owner's legal first and last name may be used as the legal name of the business. Forms and additional information are available from:
The Florida Department of State
P.O. Box 1300
Tallahassee, FL 32302

The Florida Department of State phone number is 850-245-6058, or at reach them at their website Sunbiz.


If the physical space to be used for the business is leased, a copy of the lease must be provided. If business owner owns the property to be used, then proof of ownership is required (such as a copy of the property tax form). If the business is a home-based occupation and the business owner does not own the property, a letter of consent is required from the property owner stating he/she is "aware of and approves" the applicant operating that particular business out of their home.


A copy of a current Certificate of Liability Insurance on the business is required.

Special Licenses

Obtain required certification for your profession or business; a copy of which will be required along with the business application. Examples of special licenses: restaurant approval from the Florida State Division of Hotels and Restaurants; professional licenses from the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulations; contractor certification from the Florida State Construction Industry Licensing Board, Best Practice Management for Landscaping and Tree Trimming/Removal from Pinellas County etc.


A permit and plans are required before any interior or exterior alterations, construction, electrical, or plumbing work is commenced. Please call the Building Division at 813-749-1142 or visit the building division page for further information or requirements.

ALERTPinellas Emergency Notification Service - Free Official Emergency and Community Notification Service for the City of Oldsmar