RE: CAMPFIRES, OPEN FLAME OUTDOOR COOKING, OPEN BURNING
City of Oldsmar Code of Ordinances, chapter 26:
ARTICLE IV – OPEN BURNING
Sec. 26-110(a). Permitted open burning. A campfire or other fire will be allowed that is used solely for recreational purposes, for ceremonial occasions, for outdoor noncommercial preparation of food, or on cold days for warming of outdoor workers, as long as excessive visible emissions are not emitted.
NFPA 1:10.10.2 The AHJ shall have the legal authority to prohibit any or all open flames, candles, and open, recreational, and cooking fires or other sources of ignition, or establish special regulations on the use of any form of fire or smoking material where circumstances make such conditions hazardous.
If no complaints of smoke, pollution, or nuisance, the following section may be allowed:
Safety Guideline shall be implemented at all times:
- Open Fires - Recreational fires shall not be located within 15 ft of a structure or combustible material unless contained in an approved manner.
- Open containers, fireplaces, or designated fire rings shall not exceed 3 feet in diameter or 2 feet in height.
- Outdoor fireplaces, containers, shall be provided with an approved spark arrester, screen, or door.
- Conditions that could cause a fire to spread to within 15ft of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition.
- Open, recreational, and cooking fires shall be constantly attended by a competent person until such fire is extinguished.
- This person shall have a garden hose connected to the water supply or other fire-extinguishing equipment readily available for use.
Examples of fires not allowed:
- The burning of household rubbish, trash, combustible waste material, furniture or furnishings.
- The burning of land clearing debris such as trees, shrubs, vegetation, leaves.
- The burning of any construction or storm debris.
The above information is intended as a guideline for person(s) wishing to engage in the use of recreational / ceremonial fires as set forth by the authority having jurisdiction. If you have any further question or need further information please contact the City of Oldsmar Fire Rescue at any time during business hours at (813) 749-1200.