Pop Up Art Project
Want to be part of something BEAUTIFUL & TRANSFORMATIVE?
The city is on the cusp of exciting new development, with many residents already involved in visioning its transformation. What better symbol of change than the humble butterfly? This creature evolves from a common, colorless caterpillar into an exquisite winged creature of delicate beauty!
Oldsmar invites its residents to participate in its 2023 Pop Up Art Project to create a butterfly art exhibit -
Butterflies: Symbols of Transformation
Beginning Monday, March 13, pick up a butterfly template at any of these locations to create a specimen as unique as you!
- Oldsmar City Hall, 100 State Street West (M-F 8am-5pm)
- Oldsmar Public Library, 400 St. Petersburg Drive East (M-T 9am-8pm, W-Th 9am-6pm, F-Sat 9am-5pm)
- Cypress Forest Recreation Center, 650 Pine Avenue North (M-Th 9am-9pm, F 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-4pm)
Once you have your template, here's what you need to do:
- Print your name on the non-decorated side of the butterfly
- Use any medium of your choice to transform your butterfly - crayons, paint, colored pencils, collage, glitter, jewels, mosaic, chalk - you name it!
- Cut out the butterfly from its cocoon (the paper template)
Release the butterfly back to the city by returning it to the above three locations by Monday, May 1.
Once all the butterflies have been collected, they will become kaleidoscopes as a large art installation at City Hall, celebrating the changes and transformation happening in Oldsmar.
Participants and the public are invited to attend the Opening Reception on Tuesday, June 6 from 6-7pm.
The butterfly kaleidoscopes will remain on display through Friday, August 4 at City Hall during normal business hours.
If you wish to recapture your butterfly, please do so prior to August 4 to assure your creation doesn't fly away!